Operation Iraqi Freedom, Fallen Heroes, Iraq War 03/19/03

Delfin Dulay

Baguio City, Philippines

May 1, 2007

Age Military Rank Unit/Location
42 Navy CPO

U.S.S. Frank Cable

 Was receiving treatment in Texas after he was severely burned during last December's steam incident aboard the ship.

From The Stars & Stripes stripes.com 05/05/07:

Second injured sailor dies from steam leak aboard USS Frank Cable
By Jeff Schogol Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Saturday, May 5, 2007

ARLINGTON, Va. — A second sailor from the USS Frank Cable has died following a December steam leak aboard the ship.

Eight sailors were injured when scalding pressurized steam escaped from the Frank Cable’s fire room while the ship was on Guam.

Two sailors were treated and released on Guam and six sailors were flown to Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas.

Chief Petty Officer Delfin Dulay, 42, died Monday evening at the hospital, a Brooke Army Medical Center spokeswoman said.

Dulay, from Baguio City, Philippines, had been in the Navy for close to 19 years and was on the Frank Cable since Oct. 13, according to the Navy.

His family could not be reached for comment by deadline on Thursday.

Dulay was one of four sailors from the Frank Cable awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal for their actions the day of the steam leak, according to an April news release from the Frank Cable.

He was given the medal at a ceremony at Brooke’s intensive care unit with his wife, two sons, parents and sister in attendance, the news release says.

Though the Navy has yet to release an official report on the incident, Frank Cable’s captain has already told the injured sailors’ loved ones that they stayed at their posts despite the scalding steam, said the mother of the other Frank Cable sailor who died.

“The captain of the ship had a video conference with the families, and he said all of them in their compartment took the time to shut down the equipment before they left the space, preventing further damage to the ship or injuries to others on the ship,” said Colleen Valentine in a December interview with Stars and Stripes.

Valentine’s son, Seaman Jack Valentine, 20, died Dec. 7 at Brooke from his injuries.

An investigation into the incident has been completed and a redacted copy will be available to Stars and Stripes soon, said Cmdr. Mike Brown, a spokesman for Commander Submarine Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Click To Return To Main Page

 Don't Let The Memory Of Them Drift Away

Copyright 2003-2024 Q Madp