Operation Iraqi Freedom, Fallen Heroes, Iraq War 03/19/03

Phillip A Myers

Hopewell, Virginia

April 4, 2009

Age Military Rank Unit/Location
30 Air Force TSgt

48th Civil Engineer Squadron

Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom

 Killed near Helmand province, Afghanistan of wounds suffered from an improvised explosive device.

From The Washington Post washingtonpost.com 04/28/11:

USAF Bomb Technician's Dedication Recalled

By Mark Berman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 28, 2009

When Air Force Tech. Sgt. Phillip A. Myers returned to the United States this month after a decade of service to his country, his arrival received news coverage around the world.

Myers, 30, was killed April 4 near Helmand province in Afghanistan by a makeshift bomb. The arrival of his remains at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware the next day was the first to be covered by the news media since Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates lifted a 1991 ban on news coverage.

That night, his return was attended by a small group that included his wife, Aimee, his parents, brother and uncle. Yesterday, they were joined by hundreds of others who gathered at Arlington National Cemetery to say goodbye to Myers.

He was born and raised in Hopewell, Va., and was like "any other teenager," interested in cars and music, said his father, Eddie Myers of Prince George County, Va. He graduated from Hopewell High School in 1996 and worked at the Riverside Regional Jail in Hopewell before joining the military.

When Phillip Myers decided to join the Air Force, his father did not expect him to choose explosive ordinance technician, or bomb technician, as his specialty. "That was the biggest thing that surprised me," his father said. Myers half-jokingly told his father that he took on the job because it paid more, but he wound up loving the work and finding direction in the military.

"If there's anything we can find comfort in, it's knowing that he died doing what he loved to do," his father said. "That is without a doubt. He was just so enthused about it."

Myers was in charge of explosive ordnance disposal equipment with the 48th Civil Engineer Squadron, based in England. He was the 2008 U.S. Air Force Military Technician of the Year and had been awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star, according to his base.

He had been overseas since entering active duty in May 1999, stationed in Turkey, Italy and Iraq. He was due back in the United States in mid-July, his father said.

Family and friends followed a horse-drawn caisson along Bradley Road yesterday and gathered along the southern edge of cemetery Section 60. It was a hot day, although tall trees lining the road provided some shade. Behind them, a contingent from the motorcycle group known as the Patriot Guard Riders stood watch.

Flags were given to Myers's wife; his son, Kaiden; and daughter, Dakotah; his mother, Treasa Hamilton; and his father. Gates was among those who spoke to the family at the end of the service.

Eddie Myers said his son looked out for the people serving under him.

"If he thought a job was too dangerous, he would get out and check it out himself," he said. "That might be why we don't have Phillip here today. But to me, that's admirable. That's the kind of guy he was."

Aimee Myers approved the media coverage at Dover, according to her father-in-law. "She wanted the world to see what was going on over there, to let the world see that it is bodies coming back," he said.

Eddie Myers said the family was proud that his son was the first to return under the new media policy. He described the April 5 ceremony as "very emotional."

Myers was the 90th casualty from the Afghanistan conflict buried at Arlington. 

Arlington National Cemetery

Family permitted media at Dover arrival

By Beth Miller

The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal / Gannett News Service

DOVER, Del. — The service of Air Force Tech. Sgt. Phillip A. Myers, 30, of Hopewell, Va., was not finished when he died Saturday in Afghanistan of injuries suffered from an improvised explosive device.

Late Sunday night, the arrival of Myers’ body at Dover Air Force Base in a flag-draped transfer case became a powerful reminder to his nation and the world of the sacrifices made by members of the armed forces and the high cost of war.

His return also marked an early watershed in the administration of President Barack Obama, a nod in favor of transparency and away from secrecy favored by prior administrations.

Thousands of fallen troops have returned to the United States through the military’s primary mortuary at Dover Air Force Base. Their flights are met by an honor guard, by military officers, by a chaplain and other dignitaries. Their remains are afforded the highest respect and precision as they are processed for return to their final destination.

But until Sunday night, no news coverage of the returns had been permitted since 1991, when President George H.W. Bush and then-Defense Secretary Dick Cheney banned media coverage.

Privacy was cited as the primary reason.

That changed as Myers’ flag-draped transfer case was escorted by an eight-member carry team with crisp, solemn precision to a waiting van from the jet that had carried it from Ramstein, Germany. On Sunday, a few more than two dozen media members quietly snapped pictures, scribbled notes or trained video cameras at the procession shortly after the plane landed at 10:30 p.m.

The casket of an Army soldier was taken down first. That soldier’s family was not asked for permission for media viewing because of time constraints.

“My heart is broken for this family,” said Judy Campbell, chair of Gold Star Families of Delaware, which honors those who have lost a family member in military service. “Their life is changed forever. I hope that having this picture of their loved one returning, that in the years to come it will give them some peace ... some comfort.”

For almost 20 years, that hadn’t been possible. Glimpses of the returns were made available only when the Pentagon released hundreds of its own photos after a 2005 Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by University of Delaware professor and former CNN correspondent Ralph Begleiter.

The media ban was lifted last month after Obama ordered a review of the policy. After the review, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates decided coverage would be permitted — but only with the family’s consent.

Thousands of transfers

Obama opened the door to reconsidering the policy in his first prime-time news conference as president in early February. He said he had not decided on the policy and wouldn’t until “I have evaluated that review and understand all the implications involved.”

Vice President Joe Biden in 2004 had urged a change to the policy, when the then-senator told CNN: “This is the last long ride home. These young men and women are heroes. And the idea that they’re essentially snuck back into the country under the cover of night so no one can see that their casket has arrived, I just think is wrong.”

Almost all of the 4,266 casualties in Iraq and the 668 casualties in Afghanistan through the end of March have come through Dover’s mortuary, military officials said earlier this year.

Dover and Pentagon officials could not provide the total number of transfers that have come through Dover, but Air Force spokesman Vince King said in February that 3,867 had come through Dover between May 2004 and May 2008.

Families and military members have been divided on whether the policy should have been changed.

Some agreed with Biden that acknowledging and honoring the fallen troops is an important part of the nation’s ability to better understand the cost of war and the sacrifices made by service members and their families.

Others were concerned that such coverage would be used to advance a political anti-war agenda — as some did in the Vietnam War years — or turn a somber occasion into a “media circus.”

Rules and restrictions

As the window was opened Sunday night to readmit the public to the returns, the procedures put in place by the military were tight and designed to allow the procession to be recorded without allowing media to interfere.

About 30 media members boarded a bus in the Blue Hen Corporate Center at 9 p.m. for transport to the nearby base, then briefed and taken to a restricted area from which they would observe and record.

Each representative signed a set of rules that included a prohibition on taking any images of family members who might be on hand.

No live filming was allowed, nor were “stand-ups,” in which a commentator speaks into a camera as the action unfolds in the backdrop.

The military rules advised media members that “there will be no unnecessary noise or movement during the transfer. Movement required to perform duties should be conducted in a slow and deliberate manner in an effort to not distract from the event.”

Maj. Paul Villagran assumed a new job as director of public affairs for the Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations Center a week ago to prepare for the change in policy, which was to take effect Monday. By Sunday, more than 80 members of the media had registered to be notified of a permitted return.

Villagran said all was devised to protect the family’s privacy and preserve the honor and dignity of the return.

“There is no amount of effort we wouldn’t put forward to provide that care and support,” Villagran said Saturday.

An important recognition

Myers’ widow was the first to be asked about media coverage and granted permission. She was flown into Dover on Sunday night from the RAF base in Lakenheath, England, where Myers had been assigned to the 48th Civil Engineer Squadron.

Myers died Saturday near Helmand province. He was awarded the Bronze Star at a March 19, 2008, ceremony at Lakenheath. He also had won the Air Force-level 2008 Major General Eugene A. Lupia Awards military technician category for significant achievements.

Other family members drove to Dover on Sunday from Virginia. The military paid for all family travel expenses to Dover.

At precisely 11 p.m., a dark blue shuttle bus carrying family members arrived, and an eight-member carry team, all wearing white gloves, marched to the aircraft. They slowly mounted the long stairs to the cargo bay and walked to the spot where a K-loader was positioned with Myers’ transfer case.

The senior officer on the team, Maj. Gen. Del Eulberg, the Air Force’s civil engineer, was joined by Col. Dave Horton and Maj. Klavens Noel, a chaplain, at the cargo bay door. The chaplain offered a brief prayer.

The team then raised the case and positioned it at the end of the K-loader, which descended slowly to the tarmac. The team then slowly bore the case to a white panel truck and loaded it inside.

The van then was driven off with an escort to the mortuary area. The ceremony was marked by silence, except for two orders from an officer.

Campbell, the chair of the Gold Star Families, said she believes that Sunday’s recognition of the significance of Myers’ sacrifice is important.

“I really do believe, when people know that other people care and remember, it does bring them some comfort,” she said. “Their loss will always be there, but it’s always comforting to know that others are not forgetting the sacrifice.”

Begleiter, who has said he launched his FOIA effort with the National Security Archive in 2004 to restore the return ceremonies at Dover to a rightful place of honor, had this to say Sunday: “This is an important victory for the American people to be able to honor their returning servicemen and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice.”
Myers was dedicated to his airmen, father says

The Associated Press

When Phillip A. Myers decided to join the Air Force, his father didn’t expect him to choose bomb technician as his specialty.

“That was the biggest thing that surprised me,” said his father, Eddie. The younger Myers half-jokingly told his father that he took on the job because it paid more, but he wound up loving the work.

“If there’s anything we can find comfort in, it’s knowing that he died doing what he loved to do,” his father said. “That is without a doubt. He was just so enthused about it.”

Myers, 30, of Hopewell, Va., died April 4 near Helmand province of wounds suffered from an explosive. He was assigned to Royal Air Force Lakenheath in the United Kingdom.

Eddie Myers said his son looked out for the people serving under him.

“If he thought a job was too dangerous, he would get out and check it out himself,” he said. “That might be why we don’t have Phillip here today. But to me, that’s admirable.”

He graduated from high school in 1996 and worked at the Riverside Regional Jail in Hopewell before joining the military.

Phillip also is survived by his wife, Aimee, and their two children, Dakotah, 6, and Kaiden, 3.

Click To Return To Main Page

 Don't Let The Memory Of Them Drift Away

Copyright 2003-2024 Q Madp