Operation Iraqi Freedom, Fallen Heroes, Iraq War 03/19/03

Sgt Edward B Smith - www.OurWarHeroes.org

Edward B Smith

Homestead, Florida

September 24, 2009

Age Military Rank Unit/Location
30 Army Sgt

4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division

Fort Lewis, Washington

 Killed in Omar Zai, Afghanistan, when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an improvised explosive device.

Sgt Edward B Smith - www.OurWarHeroes.org

Staff Sgt. Edward B. Smith, 30, of Homestead, Fla.; assigned to the 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.; died Sept. 24 in Omar Zai, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an IED. Sgt. Edward B. Smith of Homestead, Florida enlisted in the Army on June 10, 2002, and reported to Fort Lewis on June 10, 2007. He is survived by his wife, Jamie Welch Smith, two Children, DeAnndrea and Deiontay, his Father, Michael Miller, his Step Father, Robert Earl Jarman, his Grandparents, Edward and Annette Parrish, his brothers and sisters, Robert Smith, Thelma (Charles) McGruder, Steven Smith, June Smith, Craig Smith and Richard Smith. He was killed at age 30 while serving in Afghanistan. 
From Force Recon Association forcerecon.com 

In Memory of

1st Sgt. Edward Smith1st Sgt. Edward Smith
Died: April 05, 2003 

38, of Chicago; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, based at Camp Pendleton, Calif.; died in Doha, Kuwait, of wounds received in action in central Iraq.

After 20 years in the Marine Corps, 1st Sgt. Edward Smith, 38, was ready to start a second career as a police officer in Anaheim, Calif.

He had been working as a part-time reserve officer for the department for three years and was named Orange County Reserve Officer of the Year in 2001. He had even won a plum assignment with a special tactical squad assigned to last year's World Series.

Smith died Saturday in Doha, Qatar, from wounds received in action a day earlier in central Iraq.

"He was an unbelievable man ... the best man I've ever known," said his wife, Sandy, at a news conference at the Anaheim police station. With her, their children, Nathan, 12, Ryan, 9, and Shelby, 8.

Ryan tearfully said that when he needed help, his father was there. "It made me feel so good," he said. "He was the best dad you could ever have. I miss him a lot."

Friends described Smith as an all-American Marine who grew up on the South Side of Chicago, the son of a policeman.

He was hired by the Anaheim department in 1999, after graduating at the top of his police academy class. He planned on leaving the Marines in January to work full time as a police officer, but the military took the unusual step of delaying all retirements by a year. His wife said her husband was looking forward to testing himself after 20 years in the Marines without having seen combat.

Fellow police officer J.J. Imperial said he talked to Smith the night he left: "He believed in his country and his men. And he was going to do whatever it took to support his country."

Smith sent e-mails and letters to police colleagues back home, who had given him a Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team cap and pin. In a postcard fashioned from a cardboard box, Smith told them "his intention was to wear his SWAT cap all the way into Baghdad," said police spokesman Rick Martinez.

"We all knew Edward was a great man," Sandy Smith said, "and it's so nice to know everybody else knew it, too."

- USA Today and The Associated Press

Anaheim Police Reserve Officer Killed In Operation Iraqi Freedom. Memorial Service to be Held April 17, 2003

ANAHEIM, CA - (April 14, 2003) - The Anaheim Police Department is sad to announce that Anaheim Police Reserve Officer Edward Smith was killed in action outside Baghdad during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Edward was serving as the 1st Sergeant in the 2nd Tank Battalion, Fox Company, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. He led a company of over 200 Marines in the fight against the Iraqi Regime. First Sergeant Edward Smith served honorably in the Marine Corp for over 20 years, 17 years in Force Recon. During his career, Edward received numerous commendations, including the Navy Commendation Medal and two Navy Achievement Medals. Edward recently received the Honor Graduate award from his Non-Commissioned Officer Training course. He had previously been deployed during Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield.

Edward graduated from the Palomar Police Academy in March 1999 and received the "Top Cop" honor graduate award. Edward was hired as an APD Reserve Officer in May 1999. In 2001, Sergeant Smith was honored as the Orange County Reserve Police Officer of the Year, and he received the Reserve Rookie of the Year for the Anaheim Police Department in 2000. He was an active member of the Police Department's Special Tactics Detail and was in the process of becoming a full-time Anaheim Police Officer when his Marine commitment ended in Au gust of 2003.

A Marine Corps Legend Is Buried - inspired thousands of troops who trained under his command

A Marine Corps Legend Is Buried

1st Sgt. Edward Smith Was Killed In Iraq

CAMP PENDLETON -- Marines, Anaheim police officers and the family of 1st Sgt. Edward C. Smith gathered under a gray sky Thursday to remember the man whose physical stamina and mental toughness inspired thousands of troops who trained under his command.

About 300 people packed the Marine Memorial Chapel at Camp Pendleton, where police officers and Marines eulogized the 38-year-old father of three who had planned to retire from the military in January.

Smith, a Gulf War veteran and reserve officer with the Anaheim Police Department, was the highest-ranking enlisted Marine to die in the war in Iraq.

Many of those who spoke Thursday said they are struggling to understand how Smith, who could have been far from enemy fire because of his rank, would be killed.

"I don't know the accounts of how he was killed, but I guarantee you it was saving his Marines, exposing himself to fire to set an example," said Sgt. Major Dan Hakala, who was friends with Smith for 17 years.

Hakala and others praised Smith as a natural leader whose endurance and passion inspired them to keep moving even when they were at the point of collapse.

Smith, a Chicago native, had decided to retire in January but the military delayed all retirements for a year and he was shipped overseas with the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, based at Camp Pendleton. He wasn't eager to go to war in Iraq, but, according to his wife, Sandy, he wanted to test himself after 20 years in the Marine Corps without seeing combat.

"He said he was sorry he was leaving," his wife told reporters earlier this month.

On Thursday, she wiped away tears as she sat in the front row of the Marine base chapel with the couple's three children -- Nathan, 12, Ryan, 9, and Shelby, 8 -- and Smith's parents, Ronald and Barbara.

Marines in uniform carried Smith's flag-draped casket to the front of the chapel, where a wreath of red roses decorated the altar. A large photo of Smith, wearing his police uniform and a serious expression, was displayed at the side. At the close of the service, a Marine bugler played "Taps."

Earlier Thursday, about 1,000 people attended a memorial service in Anaheim.

Smith's remains were to be buried at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego. 
Former Fort Knox soldier’s dreams die with bomb in Afghanistan

By Sean Rose

The (Louisville, Ky.) Courier-Journal via Gannett News Service

Army Staff Sgt. Edward Bernard Smith was not looking for a relationship when he met his future wife at a club at Fort Knox.

But they were drawn to each other and discovered they had much in common.

“He was looking for the same thing I was looking for,” Jamie Welch Smith said. “He was my best friend, we could talk about anything.”

Edward and Jamie Smith, of Ekron, Ky., had been married for 3˝ years when he was killed by a makeshift bomb in Afghanistan on Sept. 24. He was 30.

Edward Smith had already served one year in Iraq before reporting to Fort Knox in 2005 for the Army’s Armor School, according to the Army. He was transferred to Fort Lewis, Wash., in 2007, and his brigade was deployed in July, according to an Army spokesman.

Jamie Smith said she and her husband planned to have a baby when he returned next July.

Jamie Smith had two children when she met Edward Smith, who is originally from Homestead, Fla. She said he was great with her kids and, as the oldest of six children in his family, practically had to raise his siblings after their mother died when he was 18.

“He was wonderful, there’s nothing bad you can say about him,” she said. “He just did everything in his power to try to make us happy. He was just that type of person.”

Edward Smith enjoyed playing basketball and video games and spending time with her children, Jamie Smith said. He joined the Army to try to find a career and make something of himself, she said. He wanted to become a physical education teacher after leaving the Army.

“We’re OK but we’re taking it really hard,” she added. “He was our everything.”

His funeral will be held at 2 p.m. Oct. 9 at the Prichard Chapel at Fort Knox, with burial in Zion Grove Cemetery in Ekron. Visitation will be at Hager Funeral Home in Brandenburg, Ky., from 4 to 9 p.m. Oct. 8 and noon to 1:15 p.m. Oct. 9.
Appreciated his sister’s prayers

The Associated Press

Edward Bernard Smith loved talking about the military with his grandfather.

“He would always tell me about the new technology, the new weapons they had,” said Smith’s grandfather, Edward Parrish.

But Smith was scared, too — he knew the risks and was afraid he may not make it home. His sister, June Render of Atlanta, recalled her brother thanking her for her prayers.

“ ‘Thanks sis, I needed to hear that,’ ” she recalled him saying.

Smith, 30, of Homestead, Fla., was killed Sept. 24 in Omar Zai, Afghanistan, when the vehicle in which he was riding was hit by a roadside bomb. He was assigned to Fort Lewis, Wash. He graduated from South Dade Senior High. He enlisted in 2002, inspired to join by the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The soldier was close to his grandparents — his mother, Sophia Smith Carter, died in 1997 at age 32. He was one of eight children and was close to his family.

“He loved his family and really appreciated what family meant,” said aunt Yalunda Evans. “He was the one who always pulled the family together.”

Smith is also survived by his wife, Jamie, and two stepchildren. He is preceded in death by a brother, Samuel Smith, who was killed in a car crash earlier this year.

Click To Return To Main Page

 Don't Let The Memory Of Them Drift Away

Copyright 2003-2015  Q Madp  PO Box 86888  Portland OR 97286-0888  www.OurWarHeroes.org